Spotlight - Academy 7

Academy 7 - Anne Osterlund
Release Date: May 14, 2009
Publisher: Speak
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 272
Buy the Book: Amazon
With a past too terrible to speak of, and a bleak, lonely future ahead of her, Aerin Renning is shocked to find she has earned a place at the most exclusive school in the universe. Aerin excels at Academy 7 in all but debate, where Dane Madousin, son of one of the most powerful men in the Alliance consistently out-talks her. Fortunately Aerin consistently outwits him at sparring. They are at the top of their class until Dane jeopardizes everything and Aerin is unintentionally dragged down with him. When the pair is given a joint punishment, an unexpected friendship and romance begins to form. But Dane and Aerin both harbor dangerous secrets, and the two are linked in ways neither of them could ever have imagined.
Synopsis and cover taken from Goodreads 

Why It's Awesome:
  • Standalone Sci-fi
  • Genius main characters
  • Intellectual clashes
  • Dark pasts and hidden secrets
  • Space ships
  • Short yet exciting read featuring some of the most lovable and memorable characters. Smart characters are always fun to read about as not only are they brilliant but some of that brilliance tends to rub off!

Recommend If You Liked:
  • Legend  - Marie Lu
  • Inside Out - Maria V. Snyder (mostly because it's the only other sci-fi I can think of!)
For the Manga lovers:
     
Comment: 
Academy 7 is one of my personal favourites. I read it in 2010 but I can still remember that I enjoyed it, a lot. It was also one of the first sci-fi books I read and it set the bar high for all those that followed. The reason that this book stands out to me is the brilliant relationship Osterlund developed between the two main characters. I love smart characters and I love it even more when two smart people clash. Also, there is a striking similarity between this and the Legend series by Marie Lu. So if you like spunky, smart and daring protagonists like Day and June than you will like Aerin and Dane.



4 comments:

  1. This one is so much fun! I really enjoyed it, and was totally thinking of Special A the whole time! There are not many people who would make that connection, so *high fives*.

    All of Osterlund's books are good fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *High five* Same here, ever since I've been looking for similar couples. It's way too much fun :)

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds really good and I've never even heard of it before! It has everything I like in sci-fi books. Space ships, geniuses...yes, I am definitely going to look into this. And I love most books published by Speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely should! It's one of my all time faves :)

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?