Discussion: Swearing



A discussion with P.E. and Mari

As teenagers we swear, a lot sometimes. However, in teenage literature swearing is quite uncommon. How do you feel about swearing?

I fucking love it. Some people may be surprised because I honestly don't swear that much in person (outside of any competitive activity, often sports) but I'm not deaf and I know a lot of people do. I know some people are bothered by swearing, but for me it's about intent. If you intend to say something harmful and harsh and filter yourself to saying something more euphemistic than an f-bomb, that doesn't change anything. The intent was still to curse, so I think if you want that there, go ahead and say it. What do you think?

The best way to capture/explain swearing is probably Hank Green's video. Swear words are more than words, they're words that convey expression and emotions without us going into deep self study in order to find the exact term. When I'm frustrated, scared or angry, I will swear. No I'm not thinking about the original meaning of the word. I don't think any of us do when we say "Fuck you!" Instead it conveys quite clearly, that we wish for the opposing person to zip it and get out. Seeing as swearing seems to be quite inherent and common in life, why do you think it's so uncommon in YA?

Maybe because there's still this misguided idea that teens need to be sheltered? Or authors generally are more creative in their methods of communication, so they don't write f-bombs when they can think of something more clever. I honestly don't know. If something surprising happens, I know that I'll swear, maybe even under my breath. It's a part of reality (maybe I'm just around pottymouths?) but it doesn't translate to books. There's also the annoying people who will censor books based on language. Why do you think it's uncommon?

I would relate it also to censorship. It's a lot like how many people are banning some very powerful dark YA novels because they feel that "teens shouldn't be exposed to them". Similarly curse words are frowned upon. We have a friend who actively ignores them and tends to call out people (usually me) who are saying them. I think it all comes down to society and what we teach our children. We are told from the get go that swearing is bad; don't do it. So that ends up translating to our everyday lives. I don't swear in front of people I don't know or people of authority. Similarly authors might contain themselves while writing because they know that publishers and readers will be reading what they are writing. There is also the idea of "fine/proper language" which doesn't include vulgar curse words. I also found it interesting that you mentioned authors making their own creative methods to convey messages. How do you feel about fake swearing or substitute swear words?

I hate it, especially if the story is paranormal. If an author wants to have that sentiment expressed by the characters who exist in the modern world, do it. I know Paranormalcy by Kiersten White had Evie saying "bleep" a lot which I didn't like. On the other hand, I applaud authors who create their own swear terms in fantasies. The origins of swear words are really cool. English ones tend to be about sex, but I know in Quebec all their swear words seem to revolve around church items. So, if done reasonably, I think it's another way to immerse a reader into the story. That being said, I do sympathize with authors a little. Even I feel uncomfortable swearing on the blog. I think it's because when I swear, it's usually in a fit of intense emotion that doesn't last very long. It's all about the moment, and so later when I look back, it doesn't fit anymore. It just looks weird. Does that make sense at all?

That's exactly what swearing is. It's a random outburst of emotion and I think it gets the message across quite well. However, it seems as though it's much easier to hear swearing than read it. As for fake swearing... I have one word: 



BULLPOOPIE. 
(House of Night by P.C. and Kristin Cast)

Oh my goodness that one has bugged me for years. I've noticed that fake swear words tend to leave the realm of realism. But I have to give the authors props for even trying to come up with their own swear words since it's quite hard to keep from making them sound silly. Most of the accepted swear words are quite silly themselves but due to the widespread use they don't seem so. So if I were to choose, I would much prefer real swearing to fake swearing. Also, swear words tend to go with the trend of the day. So the words we say now may not be the words the next generation uses to express the same feelings. Do you think that may be another deterrent in using them?

That could definitely be a part of it, but maybe it's just me but I don't think there are that many new swear words. Also, I feel like a book will never be dated if the storyline is universal, you know? 


That's true. Keep it real and honest and your story will live forever. 

What do you think? 

16 comments:

  1. I swear, a LOT, like a sailor! Mostly when in anger or extremely frustrated. There's nothing like a good expletive to express anger & frustration, it's some sort of release. For me, cutting down on swearing comes down to trying to react to things more calmly, which is not too bad an idea now and then!

    As for altenative words for swearing in books and movies, some are cool, some are fun, and some are too silly. An example of a ridiculous one that I loved is from the Fever series where Mac, the main character is a southern girl through and through and she uses "petunia" instead of ass. Histerical!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a release for me too! I swear a lot more in my head than I do in person, and I'm also impressed with how reasonable YA characters are, especially when we're supposed to know their thoughts.

      I think fake swearing sometimes works for me, sometimes doesn't. What's the first book in that series?

      -P.E.

      Delete
    2. It's Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning. Adult Urban Fantasy, set in Ireland, one of the few series about the Fae that I've devoured!

      Delete
    3. Ooh I've heard of that! Now that I'm trying to be more adult like, maybe I'll finally read it!

      -P.E.

      Delete
  2. I despise fake cuss words with a passion. They all seem so silly - like the author isn't mature enough to use actual swear words or to understand that the reader probably doesn't really think about it - and definitely does not convey the same emotion words like fuck do, as you guys talked about!

    I mean, there doesn't need to be a swear word in every sentence and I'd be fine if there wasn't any but when I come across a book that uses cusses tastefully, I do a little nod of approval in my mind. Because we do swear and we always have. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

    Of course, that's probably because of my position on swear words: that they're not inherently 'evil', like how some people show them to be. Admittedly, they are a more rough way of speaking and there are some swear words I NEVER touch because they're just too brash and/or have negative connotations attached but in general, with words like fuck or shit as an example, it's more so the way you use it, just like with any other word. If you use it in a negative way, it's obviously going to be mean/rude!

    And that brings to mind this picture book I remember from a while ago called Go the Fuck to Sleep or something. I just thought that was so funny, very tongue in cheek because it was a picture book, written in a way akin to children's books but marketed towards adults. Obviously, no one wants to swear around children even though you might mean Oh no when you say shit. I just feel like there's not that understanding or comprehension of swear words when you're younger. For me, especially. I always thought my dad was so wrong to say words like fuck whenever a guy merged in front of him but now, as I use that word myself and understand its many meanings, it's not a big deal.

    And yes, I totally agree with your last paragraphs on our generation. In this day and age, we do swear and that's probably why I love seeing it done well in books because it's representative of our society now and having it down in a book really preserves it, even if it may not be socially acceptable in some cases. It's still language and I feel very strongly about embracing it, even when it gets ugly. If authors ages ago didn't write true to their era, we wouldn't be able to marvel at the beauty of their language back then. Like with Shakespeare. A few curses come to mind when I think back to Shakespeare and in that time, I would guess/imagine that they were probably as scandalous and taboo as fuck today but looking back at it now, centuries later, it's interesting to see how language evolves and it's my hope that in reading our books centuries later, the future people will be able to enjoy our cusses and the sheer versatility of the word fuck.

    And finally, on the friend who refuses to swear - I think we all have one of them! In the same way I don't swear in front of a child, I make sure to be more considerate around them so I do swear less. But unlike a child, I expect them to be more mature about it and honestly, having been around me for so long, I think my friend is less vehement about swearing and definitely tries to get me not to swear less.

    Anyway, I really enjoyed this post. I actually have a lot of the same thoughts on swearing as you do and if you couldn't see, I'm very into discussing society and the word fuck and whatnot. Sorry for leaving you such a lenghty comment with so many run on sentences! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, fake swear words lose the emotion that the character is trying to convey and makes a scene that's supposed to be intense, just silly, which is the biggest downside.

      I agree with everything you've said. Swear words are just words in the end and just like any other word, they can be used in different ways. So it's really not the words fault it's the user and what they intend to say with it.

      Personally, my parents swore all the time as we were growing up which I guess isn't the most accepted thing nowadays, but it was normal then. This made me not be so sensitive about swearing. Similarly, I was never deterred from reading a certain type of YA book because my parents deemed it inappropriate. This has helped me be more educated about the world I live in and the people in it. Intentional ignorance really doesn't benefit anyone and adding negative social connotation to swearing just makes it more of a problem instead of just a word.

      Sadly, my non-swearing friend hasn't come to accept her fate yet but I'm glad yours understands more. Also, I need to find that picture book!

      Thanks so much for your comment! You have great points and it's a pleasure to read :)

      -Mari

      Delete
    2. Epic comment. I pretty much agree completely with you.

      "the sheer versatility of the word fuck."

      Hahaha yes. I don't think that's something we talked about enough- the art of swearing.

      -P.E.

      Delete
    3. Uummmm 100% ditto what Annie said. Like, ALL OF IT. Brilliant!

      Delete
  3. I don't swear a lot, but I think it's very realistic if there are swear words in books. Sometimes you just have to use something heavier to show your emotions. I HATE it when they come up with those fake words that just make it sound ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important for a book that the words convey what they author is trying to say with them so I understand what you mean with the fake words. They sometimes (always :P) fail to do this, which defies the point of them all together.

      -Mari

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you guys on this! I swear sometimes, and most of it is when playing sports or a game of some sort. Almost all the time it's involuntary. So yeah, it's weird that YA usually doesn't have swearing. I get it in a way, because if parents want to buy books for their kids, they'll probably stay away from swear words. But sometimes it's just refreshing to see! Like Dear Cassie by Lisa Burnstein. It has over 100 f-bombs in there, and it just made the protagonist all the more real to me, and easy to connect with.
    I hate fake swear words too :P Evie's bleeps definitely annoyed me. Though again, I get why the author didn't make them real ones.
    Awesome discussion post, guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point. Swearing does help form a characters and make them more relatable and realistic because as you said when something shocking happens a lot of us spew out random swear words to express our shock. 'Oh' isn't always expressive enough.

      -Mari

      Delete
  5. I think swearing carries its purpose when used in the right way. A really pissed off person will not be saying "freaking" they'll be saying...

    Anyway, at the same time, if you've got a character who always swears, that could be their personality. It could be that said character is an idiot or a poser or something.

    You are so right about the fact that parents are always trying to shelter their kids and its wrong. I mean, how are they supposed to know what actually goes on in the real world if no one ever tells them? Think back to that moment you discovered Santa wasn't real. I don't want my younger sister to have great expectations on the world and that "no one swears" and then go out and be horrified at what she really sees.

    This is such an amazing post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, interesting point. I was never taught that Santa was real so I didn't have the shock of a lifetime when I found out it was fake but I can see how that can affect someone.

      This is kind of reminding me of an article I read and it was talking about how we are sheltering our youth from everything. This one was of a soccer team that had a rule that the game was forfeited if one team won by 6. That's not right. Life is hard and sometimes one loses and sometimes one wins, but to stopping one from losing all together, what is that teaching the kids?

      -Mari

      Delete
  6. I swear all the time... especially when I was a teenager. I don't swear in front of kids, or in front of my inlaws. They are not for swearing at all. So I know when to swear and when not to swear. Reading swear words in YA books doesn't bother me at all, just like reading about sex doesn't bother me either. There was plenty of sex going on when I was a teen.. so I just find it realistic. I do think the YA books with fake curse words is stupid. They are trying to reach this "other" teen audience but yet stay cool with the ones that do swear. Just leave the swear words out then.. it's just better that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those 'ugly truths' are just that, they are the truth and it's unnecessary to try and hide them. As the youth these authors and parents are trying to protect, don't.

      I agree with what you said about the fake swear words. If anything they make these 'semi-mature' characters sound very immature.

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?