Robots; Not My Thing

*hides behind hands*
Robots are creepy.

December is pretty awesome as I get a lot of free previews on satellite and one of those was for Rad channel. On Christmas, they were doing a movie marathon featuring robots and so I sat down to watch The Terminator and I, Robot (note: I'm not Christian. My family gave gifts and decorated gingerbread cookies and then had no idea what else to do). 

Not bad...
The Terminator was hilarious. Predictable, but fun. The robots were all really creepy. I, Robot however, was much more disturbing. Being the overly analytic person that I am, I started to think about robots. 

I've noticed that robots, or an invasion of technology in general, seems to be a major fear. Technology is constantly evolving and always feels new. It is always pushing the limits, and the rules and boundaries constantly change. What's acceptable is always changing. That brings the fear that we're allowing too much change. Maybe humanity will reach a point where we can't go back. 

The Terminator was fine, because the robots were cold and ruthless. I, Robot however, brought to light a major issue I have. 

Okay, let's get it out there: I'm terrified of a robot revolution. It sounds like a really stupid fear, but I don't want robots in every household. I don't feel safe without humanity having control. I mean, imagine what would happen if there's a computer virus? It would be devastating!

In I, Robot, there are three laws that the robots must follow. 

From the internet. 
Okay, so not bad right? I mean, look, we're safe? Well, as I, Robot shows, these laws aren't infallible. I have deeper problems though. In my mind, a robot can never be human. 

Never. 

Ever.

Never. 

They will never dream, or feel, or truly live or become living. They will always be technology: an object, not a person. I, Robot showcased the importance of humanity, but the biggest problem I have is that it also had a robot, Sonny, who could dream, and feel, and make illogical decisions. 

I can't imagine that happening. They're not people and they will never be. I'm not for shoving them and being mean to them, especially because we (hypothetically) made them and I can't stand mistreating something innocent.

That being said, I'm not crazy about robots. I don't want them everywhere. I don't like reading books where robots are romanticized and made like people. They're creepy. It's lame that I'm scared of them, when I never leave my phone unattended. I also go on the computer too much. Why draw the line at robots? 

I don't know. 

What do you think? Do you like robots?

-P.E.

7 comments:

  1. Robots -- like vampires, werewolves, etc. -- are hit or miss for us. All depends on execution. But if you want to see robots done AWESOMELY, check out the TV series Battlestar Galactica (the newer version, 2004). It's sooooo good. Great characters, great writing. Robots, like zombies, are a way to discuss human nature -- what makes us human. BSG does that beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'll keep that in mind then! I do think they explore human nature, but some of the fiction is almost too real. I read about Google acquiring robots used in war and it terrifies the **** out of me.

      -P.E.

      Delete
  2. You are kind of freaking me out lol. It's true they can never be human and even if we get so technologically advanced that we can get robots to seem like they feel it's not real. I actually really want robots to be a common household item because I hate cleaning... and it would be really cool. But, like I, Robot and kind of like the t.v. show Almost Human you wonder if they will turn on you. I'm willing to take the risk ^__^ ~ the Zombie apocalypse worried me though. I think about that more than robots attacking me. Maybe because we aren't that close to making robots like those in movies possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason I'm creeped out is that I actually believe we aren't that far off from the technology. And you're braver than me- I really don't like the idea of a robot near me.

      -P.E.

      Delete
  3. I've not read or watched much about robots but I can see how they freak you out, I wouldn't want them wandering around everywhere either. Could you imagine if they looked like humans and we weren't able to tell the difference? That would be scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, that's my biggest fear. And then they would have some kind of robot revolution and we would end up living in the Matrix...

      -P.E.

      Delete
  4. I'll check it out, but I'm still wary of the idea that "robots are the best". :p

    -P.E.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?