Review: Resist

Author: Sarah Crossan
Date of Publication: October 8 2013
Pages: 368
Series: Breathe #2
Source: Library

The sequel—and conclusion—to Sarah Crossan's Breathe. Three teen outlaws must survive on their own in a world without air, exiled outside the glass dome that protects what's left of human civilization. Gripping action, provocative ideas, and shocking revelations in a dystopian novel that fans of Patrick Ness and Veronica Roth will devour.

Bea, Alina, and Quinn are on the run. They started a rebellion and were thrown out of the pod, the only place where there's enough oxygen to breathe. Bea has lost her family. Alina has lost her home. And Quinn has lost his privileged life. Can they survive in the perilous Outlands? Can they finish the revolution they began? Especially when a young operative from the pod's Special Forces is sent after them. Their only chance is to stand together, even when terrible circumstances force them apart. When the future of human society is in danger, these four teens must decide where their allegiances lie. Sarah Crossan has created a dangerous, and shattered society in this wrenching, thought-provoking, and unforgettable post-apocalyptic novel.

Review:

Resist did nothing to pull me in emotionally.

I thought I may as well start this review with brutal honesty. I can tiptoe around it, but this is by far the biggest issue of Resist. I wasn't a fan of Breathe, but I read a review that spoke so highly of Resist that I convinced myself that it deserved another chance. So, here we are.

The characters were barely distinguishable to me. Alina was fierce, Bea was strong, Quinn was umm, mature? Ronan was the only one I felt had any real characterization and he was probably my favourite character. Maybe it was the writing style but I just felt so detached from all of them. The story featured alternating perspectives but it wasn't done too well and I really couldn't tell who's perspective I was reading.

The world building failed when it came to plausibility. I don't understand why the evil villains did their evil deeds. There was no explanation besides that they're insane, which I can't really believe when so many people supported them. It feels like it was written for shock value, but with no real basis and that's irritating. Furthermore, I had a lot of trouble believing in the lack of technology. The fact that there weren't any cameras and microphones in every room was strange. The plan the good guys concocted just seemed too lucky.

I didn't like the structure of the story either because I felt like some parts dragged out, and other were way too short. The ending, with a scene that was supposed to be epic, fell rather flat because there wasn't enough build up. Something happened for shock value (again), and I realized to what extent I was emotionally detached when I couldn't bring myself to care and moved on.

Resist was easily readable, but in the sense that you could make yourself read it and be interested. When I put the book down however, I felt no compulsion or curiosity concerning the story. None of the characters were fascinating, the premise wasn't believable, and the plot felt dull.

Maybe this is a writing issue in the sense of execution. I feel like this series could have been good, and when I think of it, the idea is cool. Imagine living without oxygen? Sounds awful to be given or denied oxygen based on your social class. However, somehow Breathe and Resist both fell flat. I don't know if there are more books. (Turns out there are not.) Neither do I care. Resist didn't work for me.


-P.E.


4 comments:

  1. Even with the initial lacklustre reviews for Breathe, I don't know why I picked it up. The joke's on me though coz I bought this book as well. Ugh. Anyway, I can agree to 'evil being evil just because' to some degree, but I still need some sort of understanding. Otherwise, what's the point of siding with the good guys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you never know! You might love it. I gave this series a second chance and it didn't work out. That's totally on me.

      Maybe it's the optimist in me, but I have no belief in "evil for the sake of evil" whatsoever. I've never met a really awful person that didn't have some kind of shaping influence in their lives that made them become that way, so when I see it in books I can't believe it. That said, I'm still young and there's a lot I haven't seen. Maybe it's one of those really awful truths you learn as you age? Hopefully not!

      -P.E.

      Delete
  2. I liked Breathe well enough but resist although good enough to be read and enjoyed also failed to grab me emotionally. By the end I was a bit meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it went from "meh" to "ugh" and that's how it got 1 star. Same issues though- no emotional connection.

      Delete

What do you think?