Review: Poison Dance

Author: Livia Blackburne 
Date of Publication: September 24, 2013
Pages: 54
Series: Midnight Thief Prequel
Source: Review copy from the author. Thank you!

James is skilled, efficient, and deadly, a hired blade navigating the shifting alliances of a deteriorating Assassin’s Guild. Then he meets Thalia, an alluring but troubled dancing girl who offers him a way out—if he’ll help her kill a powerful nobleman. With the Guild falling apart, it just might be worth the risk. But when you live, breathe, and love in a world that’s forever flirting with death, the slightest misstep can be poison. 







Review:
I'm not one to usually read novellas, but every now and then there are exceptions; Poison Dance is one of them. I was automatically hooked after reading the synopsis. Who wouldn't be? There are assassins! Also, I'm desperately pining for the novel to come out, so this was a welcomed treat.

Poison Dance's strength resides in its world building. Despite the restriction of approximately 50 pages, Livia Blackburne managed to create a great visual of the world. I was interested to read about the Assassin's Guild and their past. I now have a beginning image of the world Blackburne is creating and I'm liking what I'm seeing, especially the trade caravans, which I thought were a very cute and enriching addition.

The novella has a very simple plot and we are introduced to it from the first chapter. Thalia wishes to obtain James, an assassin's, help with someone. Of course, problems ensue but because of the length I found the story to be lacking depth and it was too predictable at times. This led to me not understanding some of the characters' actions, especially Thalia. I didn't like her much and I didn't see what James saw.

James, on the other hand, I really liked. He was calm and calculating, as I would expect an assassin to be. I definitely want to see more of him, especially after the ending. I saw it coming, but I also didn't see it coming. I'm in between.

Overall, Poison Dance is really quite short and light but, it was exactly what I needed. This book isn't meant to be analyzed. It was fun, quick, interesting and gave a taste of what was in store for us in the novel. I enjoyed it.


-MARI



6 comments:

  1. I recently read this too and quite enjoyed it. I loved James as a character and definitely want more of him. I did find it lacked depth too, because of the length I don't feel I got to know the characters all that well, There didn't seem to be enough time for things to develop enough. Great, honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James was awesome. He didn't just go along with others decisions and was probably the most realistic assassin I've read so far. I'm a little sad that he isn't the main character in the novel. I think he may be the second love interest... We'll see how that works out.

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. I'm quite intrigued by this novella and the full book to come after it, so I might just get it soon!
    Thanks for the very honest review, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really quick read, I literally read it in my 20 minute homework break and it's fun so what else can one ask for :)

      -Mari

      Delete
  3. I LOVED this book! I remember I was the first blogger to read and review it. Livia has some amazing talent as a writer - I cannot wait to read Midnight Thief.

    Fantastic review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I was a little sad when I turned the page and saw that it was over. Good thing we have more coming in the novel :)

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?