Review: Finnikin of the Rock


Author: Melina Marchetta
Date of Publication: Sept, 29, 2008
Pages: 416
Source: Library

Finnikin of the Rock and his guardian, Sir Topher, have not been home to their beloved Lumatere for ten years. Not since the dark days when the royal family was murdered and the kingdom put under a terrible curse. But then Finnikin is summoned to meet Evanjalin, a young woman with an incredible claim: the heir to the throne of Lumatere, Prince Balthazar, is alive.

Evanjalin is determined to return home and she is the only one who can lead them to the heir. As they journey together, Finnikin is affected by her arrogance . . . and her hope. He begins to believe he will see his childhood friend, Prince Balthazar, again. And that their cursed people will be able to enter Lumatere and be reunited with those trapped inside. He even believes he will find his imprisoned father.

But Evanjalin is not what she seems. And the truth will test not only Finnikin's faith in her . . . but in himself.


Review:

Finnikin of the Rock was one of those inevitable reads. I've heard fantastic reviews about Melina Marchetta's work and have always known that I would read her books, especially the Lumatere Chronicles. I finally took the plunge when P.E. recommended I read it and I think I found a new favourite.

This book is a high fantasy novel of the highest order. There is a distinct style of world building that is very different from anything I've seen before. Marchetta has manage to construct a world so intricate that it sometimes causes one to stop and marvel at it's perfection. 

Culture isn't often incorporated into books but Finnikin of the Rock was nothing if not a tribute to the Lumatere's culture; a culture that was passed through stories. The stories were the first thing to catch my attention. They were epic tales of victory and love, teaching it's listeners the way of Lumatere and it's heroes. 

The world building was aided by the stories and when it all come together we are presented with a realistic and colourful image of multiple tribes of people working together to go back home. We also learned about the neighbouring countries, their governments, their political and social standings. This made for an engrossing and rich read.

My main issue with the novel ended up being one that the author created purposefully. Many people probably didn't even bat an eye at  Evanjelin the main female lead, but couldn't get over her. She was a strong courageous leader but she lead through lies and deceptions. I hated her with a passion. She was conniving, deceiving, manipulative and she was the main catapult that moved the plot. If something happened to further the plot it was because Evangeline deceived someone to do something. She was too secretive and although that was half the point, I still wasn't happy. I didn't like Evanjelin for most of the book but I think she redeemed herself by the end. 

I realize that Evangeline's role was all preplanned and led to a great end but while I was reading I hated her. Looking back I wouldn't be happy to judge the book based on a pet peeve and so I thought it was important to mention but Finnikin of the Rock is too good for me to base my review on just that aspect.

There is too much to love and appreciate in this book. The characters are fantastic. I adored Finn, he was such an amazing young man. I'm not a big reader of male POV's but his is unmatched. My favourite characters were the members of the King's Guard, especially Perri the Savage, Travanion's second in command. I think he was a great representation of how one's family doesn't define them. Perri was a lot like Sirius Black and I love Sirius.

Marchetta managed to build a vivid landscape and people in this book. I adored the images that ran through my head whilst reading Finnikin of the Rock. I can still see his bright red hair, the battles at sea and the curse replaying in my head. The history with the forest dwellers was one that I adored. It's something to relateable because we humans have done many things to others that we perceive as different. Marchetta has written a golden novel and everyone should give it a try.

 

 -MARI


14 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one! Although I didn't have the same reaction to Evanjalin as you did! >_< I agree she was annoyingly manipulative, but I kind of loved her in the end. I really shipped her with Finnikin. I couldn't get over how detailed the world was. AMAZING author this one!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evangelin was the very perfect recreation of a person that would bug the heck out of me and as a result, I couldn't stop nit picking at everything she did. It's probably why I noticed and analyzed so much into her. Still, this author is beyond anything I've ever seen before. I'm very excited!

      -Mari

      Delete
  2. Ack! Melina Marchetta is my ultimate, ultimate literary goddess! I'm so happy you ended up loving this one. And I hope you continue to enjoy the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally see why. The writing blew my mind. It was beautiful!

      -Mari

      Delete
  3. I have these series in my pile of books to read, but there always seems to be something other demanding my attention! I think I really need to get to them soon! Maybe once I finish Eon and Eona, I'll add them to my pile of "books before sleep".
    Thanks for a great review, Mari! And thanks for the warning about Evangelin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean since I ignored P.E. for a whole year but I hope you give it a go soon. It is very good and would be a great hangover killer after Eona :)

      -Mari

      Delete
  4. YAY so glad you loved this book, because we did too. Sure, there are some things that could have been better -- we agree Evanjalin wasn't always the greatest -- but that's okay. Perfection is boring. ;)

    We highly recommend the rest of the series, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's a great way to put it! It may not have been perfect but it was magnificent :)

      -Mari

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you loved Finnikin of the Rock! One of the best fantasies every in my opinion. One of the things I love so much about Melina Marchetta's writing is how she makes really flawed characters into the strongest ones. It's something she does in the next two books as well, and it really brings a lot of depth to her stories. Great review Mari! I can't wait to read your thoughts on the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to see that for sure and I'm very curious to read about Froi and Charyn.

      -Mari

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this author but your review is awesome so I might check this out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm surprised you haven't heard of her before and quite happy that I can take credit for this introduction. I hope you decide to try her work :)

      -Mari

      Delete
  7. It took my attention that you have read this book, so I wanted to read the review.
    It's been a long time since I want to read this one, but I don't know why I still haven't!
    I'll have to add it to my pile NOW!
    Thanks for the review, Mari! It was so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my review helped. Honestly, this one was going in the "Probably should've read but might never actually do so" pile and I'm very glad to have been pushed to read it. It's a fantasy lover's dream :)

      -Mari

      Delete

What do you think?