In Protest Of The Trilogy Rule

After devouring one trilogy after another over the years, I've come to this climax in my YA reading career where I no longer feel driven to read and complete trilogies. No matter the story and how different it is from others I've read, I still experience a strong lull between 3 book series.


I feel like trilogies are a type of pizza: Hawaiian, barbecue chicken, cheese, pepperoni; and I've had them everyday for the past several years to the point where after downing the first slice I can't look at another.

I'm going to say it once:

I AM SO SICK OF TRILOGIES. 

I want to read more about a world I love but the number 3 is like the freaking 666 of the YA literature.


RUN SAM! IT'S ANOTHER TRILOGY!

Remember last year when all the New Adult books consisted of the same plot aka: girl and boy with rough past meet and lick each others wounds but don't want attachments? I read one, then another and by the third I couldn't even get past the synopsis. Same story.

TRIL-YAWN-OGY
Why are we subjecting ourselves to the same formula? What about YA readers is so standard that publishers and authors feel the best type of stories for us come in 3 parts?

It's such a boring:
  1. Beginning 
  2. Middle 
  3. End 
that it's killing me. Seriously.

I'm saying all this as a person who's read mainly trilogies, but how many of them have I finished? So how effective is the ploy besides leaching money off readers? The formula gets old. It's time to break the mold, show us some great big standalones and some nice duologies. The number 3 shouldn't be our standard. There should be no standard. Each story is unique and its size should be too.

MERCI!

-MARI


2 comments:

  1. "There should be no standard. Each story is unique and its size should be so too."

    *mic drop*

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?