Review: The Perilous Sea



After spending the summer away from each other, Titus and Iolanthe (still disguised as Archer Fairfax) are eager to return to Eton College to resume their training to fight the Bane. Although no longer bound to Titus by a blood oath, Iolanthe is more committed than ever to fulfilling her destiny—especially with the agents of Atlantis quickly closing in.

Soon after arriving at school, though, Titus makes a shocking discovery, one that makes him question everything he previously believed about their mission. Faced with this devastating realization, Iolanthe is forced to come to terms with her new role, while Titus must choose between following his mother's prophecies—and forging a divergent path to an unknowable future. 

My Review

Author: Sherry Thomas
Pages: 414
Publication Date: September 16 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Library
Sequel to: The Burning Sky

I always say, "Oh, maybe the sequel will be better!"

I am known for my steadfast belief in a book's potential. Except, I am equally known for starting a series without finishing it.

I picked up The Perilous Sea with little genuine enthusiasm. That sounds harsh, but I figured I should probably try finishing a few series, and that day, the selection at the library was lacking. Sometimes, people convince me to stick with a series through the amazing reviews of the sequel. I saw that The Perilous Sea had high ratings, so I gave it a shot.

This was a good idea.

For whatever reason, everything just clicked. I became extremely fond of the characters, the writing, and the plot was entertaining.

I really liked Titus. He was sarcastic and guarded, and constantly acting for the sake of duty. His character was gruff, yet honest. I am like, so down for a boy that believes in loyalty and responsibility, and so I really liked Titus.

Iolanthe was an amazing lead too. She was clever, charming, and held her own. I love that she was strong in a way that was open and kind. I really liked her and thought she was wonderful.

The plot was cool because it had flashbacks. The story started with a girl and a boy in a desert, running away from Atlantis' people. They have no recollection of anything. Then, there were flashbacks that showed how they got to that point. I liked the little twists Thomas added, and the way she explored what it means and feels like to have a destiny. This was a very thoughtful way of telling a story, and this inner conflict was intriguing.

The ending wrapped up the story quite well, and it was exciting. I like that it was an ending that was somewhat self-contained-- we learned how the characters got to a certain point, and this book was rife with character development for both of them. It was exactly what I needed to push me to continue this series, and I'm excited for more!


-P.E.




1 comment:

  1. Yay for good sequels! I read book 1 a while back and while I enjoyed it I wasn't too fussed about The Perilous Sea's release. But your description of Titus has reminded me of how much I liked him in The Burning Sky (love sarcasm and loyalty in characters!) so I'll have to read this one soon. Awesome review :)

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?